Thursday, February 28, 2008

One sad poem



I wrote this piece for my college level versification. Topic was "That rainy night".
Though me and Vinaya goofed and played around,at the end, I wrote about my cousin who left too soon after getting seriously injured in a bike accident. So you could understand that this poem is rather personal. I felt satisfied at having written it. Though I couldn't bag the first prize, I felt so much at peace. I mean, I had meant to do it all along, yet something held me back..like the feeling that I wouldn't be able to do justice to his memory,his adventurous life and everything about him. Anyway..This is kind of my way of paying tribute to my brother-
a good friend, helpful, caring, naughty and loving. I regret the fact that I warmed up to him rather late. He used to be soooo irritating when I was younger!
But I really miss you bruv,now that you're gone..I really really miss you.

Here's the poem-
And tonight I relive
Every moment of that day.
That fatal news,
That tear-streaked night
That dug up earth where you were to lie.

After all these months,
I can still remember
Those drawn up faces
The hushed up cries
The talking in whispers.

In this rain-
All those tear stained memories
Have come back to life
Wrapped in this pitch black night.
And it feels like it was all just yeasterday.


I walked through that melancholic rain
Drenched, with a burdened heart.
In that loneliness that only death could bring;
I screamed my agony to an inky black night..
But the night was crying too.

I realised then that,
After you, nothing remains.
One crash was all it took
To bring about a world of sadness.
"Were you really gone?"

My tear are wasted
They just bring back sadness.
And my prayers are wasted.
You left all too suddenly-
Never to return.

I cry not because you left
But because you left too soon.
And in the silence that prevails
Everything is finished
All that remains is that one rainy night...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The final parting was on May 6th,2007.

2 comments:

J said...

beautiful....and heart-rending at the same time....

Azra Raphael said...

thank you.
i wrote it from my heart.
you see,when my cousin(rip) died,there was torrential rain,everyone crying, i felt too numb to feel anything else..