Monday, December 13, 2010

Try to Remember


Even after hundreds of movies with pichle janam ka pyaar and the like, people never get bored of 'em, do we?
Maybe you do, but this movie in here is inspired from a historical artifact that was unearthed in South Korea, famously known as "Letter to Won's Father". Man, I don't know whether the movie will be great, but the trailer is fine, the music used in it is…just right, and most importantly? The crux of the movie, the letter itself. Just had to share it!



*
In 1998 a 16th-century mummy of Eung-tae, a member of Korea's ancient Goseong Yi clan was found in a construction site, as they unwrap the mummy a letter written by his wife was found laying on the chest of the mummy, below its translation of the letter.
*
To Won's Father
June 1, 1586

You always said, "Dear, let's live together until our hair turns gray and die on the same day. How could you pass away without me? Who should I and our little boy listen to and how should we live? How could you go ahead of me?
How did you bring your heart to me and how did I bring my heart to you? Whenever we lay down together you always told me, "Dear, do other people cherish and love each other like we do? Are they really like us?" How could you leave all that behind and go ahead of me?
I just cannot live without you. I just want to go to you. Please take me to where you are. My feelings toward you I cannot forget in this world and my sorrow knows no limit. Where would I put my heart in now and how can I live with the child missing you?
Please look at this letter and tell me in detail in my dreams. Because I want to listen to your saying in detail in my dreams I write this letter and put it in. Look closely and talk to me.
When I give birth to the child in me, who should it call father? Can anyone fathom how I feel? There is no tragedy like this under the sky.
You are just in another place, and not in such a deep grief as I am. There is no limit and end [to my sorrows] that I write roughly. Please look closely at this letter and come to me in my dreams and show yourself in detail and tell me. I believe I can see you in my dreams. Come to me secretly and show yourself. There is no limit to what I want to say and I stop here.
http://www.archaeology.org/1003/abstracts/images/korea1.gif
(Courtesy Andong National
University)
*
See? I knew it was worth posting! Makes even cold me melt. The protagonists meet, and the guy gets the déjà vu feeling that he might have met her somewhere before. As the movie progresses, they both see the news of the letter separately, and on a strange impulse go there and well, things start falling into place. =)

For some strange reason, I can't upload the trailer. So here's the link instead. Take care y'all.

No comments: